Wednesday 7 January 2009

New Years Res


Well I didn't actually get to a reservoir but I did get out! Spent the days before and after New Year down in Somerset. Managed to see some fantastic birds down there...Great Bustard, Cattle Egret, Firecrest, Black Redstart and made the journey to see the Snowy Owl too - it would have been rude not to!
I've been following blogs for a while now and like many others I feel inspired to give it a go.
I had a quick run out this morning to get some local stuff on the year list. First on the list today was Black-throated Diver and while watching this the familiar 'chip-chip' of a Crossbill could be heard flying over then landing in the top of a conifer. 2 birds sitting pretty, marvellous. Back to the Loch and there is a couple of Common Scoter loafing, not that common up here! The Great Northern Divers were in good numbers and encouraged to call by the low cloud/misty conditions. I did see 3 Porpoise just before I rapped in for lunch.

2 comments:

Stewart said...

Hello Big Yin. Thanks for following my blog. What island are you on? I think readers will be interested in info incase they visit. Unless you don't want visitors, I made that mistake about Boulmer...
I'll look forward to reading your exploits...
Good Luck.

Bryan Rains said...

Hello Stewart. Thanks for dropping by. I'll keep the location secret for now but all will be revealed before long no doubt.
Cheers