Sunday 16 December 2012

Big fish.

Driving along, minding my own business, and then an Otter comes into view with a large fish in it's trap.
I had to stop, if only to find out what kind of fish it had. It wasn't going to haul out in sight of the road but it would take some time to get through a fish this size.
As you can see from the above photo the fish is quite orange in colour. Too big for Cuckoo Wrasse and not looking like the right shape plus the Otter wasn't letting me see it properly.
It wasn't too long before the fish was dragged into the open and that was the end of my ID hunt - no idea!
The Otter settled down in a sunny spot, with the fish out of view again, so I headed off. The fish is a Bearded Rockling (Cheers, Bob).

2 comments:

James said...

Hi Brian, what about a Tub Gurnard (or other Gurnard sp)

Bryan Rains said...

Hi, James. I'm not great with fish ID but I think Gurnards have large pec fins and a large head. This fish had barbels if that helps.