Tuesday 17 November 2009

Weather or not...

The weather is doing it's best to be unpredictable at the moment. It was supposed to be a bit stormy today but, I'm guessing, it passed through last night. It looked like the last of the rain was passing through this morning and when the sun broke through............what can I say? There aren't that many daylight hours at this time of year so I gave PS a bell and hit the road. Not two minutes out of the door and I'm watching a juv WT Eagle soaring over the loch and heading away from me - dodgy photo that one!! I carried on along the road and got distracted by a big lump sticking up from the rocks...........still a dodgy photo but better than the other dodgy one! I eventually picked up PS and we headed off to do my BTO tetrads - we shouldn't have bothered. Neither square managed double figures of birds! The first square produced a couple of Robins and a Dunnock - honest! You get the picture anyway so I won't bore you with the same birds in the other tetrad. We decided to point our cameras at a Buzzard that was hunting just off the side of the road. It was never going to be good but the silhouette against the blue sky was worth the effort.As we arrived at the next birdless tetrad we scanned around to make it look good and I mentioned that I could see nothing but Deer. PS was straight in with the response 'You mean this fu...fu...fine fellow here?' Either they grow really quickly or it was in the bracken at the side of the road.......it can't be an easy thing to hide! A few more Red Deer.......a Chaffinch and a Buzzard later and the rain was ready to start again. We did manage to get some nice shots of a friendly Robin before the rain hit...We had lunch while the rain lashed down and then the sun was out again but that was about it. I got a glimpse of another WT Eagle disappearing over a ridge, no Otters, a few Redwing and we called it a day. I had mentioned that I hadn't seen a Hen Harrier close to home in a while so PS will be well pleased to find out a male bird flew past the shop door when I got back!

1 comment:

Kate S said...

Stunning Robin and nice to know that the hen harrier is making a show...